Friday, March 26, 2010

It's better when you mush it with All Gold

I think I owe some more detail in this blog – the last one was a bit skint, no? It’s Friday night, and I’m frantically trying to remember everything we’ve done in the last while – the days kind of melt into one another after a while – a blend of hyena dreams, ticking off sites, lasagna (what’s for dinner?  Yeah, I love that stuff! It’s better when you mush it with All Gold), keeping hydrated, finishing my masters thesis (well, this draft at least), trying to keep in touch with family (Yes, internet! No, sorry – false alarm. Cell phone? Left it at the cell phone tower – two bird poos right on the screen).

Well, we’ve officially finished up our sites in Moremi – we were so excited on our last day, we left singing at the top of our voices!  Mich has this great PDA loaded with a bunch of classics – loads of Johnny Clegg, Roxette, Jon Bon the Great Jovi, Billy Joel, Dire Straits, ah…. My favourite so far is “She’s got the look” – it’s been my favourite for a while, but you just can’t resist the “na na na na na!” until your jaw hurts! 

Ooh, before I forget, we saw a cute little jackal the other day. Oh my goodness. Reminded me of little Jack Russel Woody (who we suspect is a dwarf Jack Russel – he’s just too tiny to be normal) – I just wanted to call him over, pull him into my lap, and give him cuddles. Oh, cuddles. I will call him Jackal Russel and he will be my Jackal Russel.




Things are still eating me in the night – I find a new and fascinating bite almost every day. I have an idea that it may be spiders – never seen mozzie bites that go white and bulgy – and something that gives me this idea is the collection of spiders and webs I have all over the corner of my wall, next to my bed. I have doomed and doomed, but they persevere. By the way, Michelle says stupid mozzies keep trying to bite her screen. Ah, the number of times I’ve had the blood sucked out of me here (this has nothing to do with the fact that I just read the third Twilight book in just a week). But don’t worry mum, apparently there’s only a real malaria risk when we’re in Maun. Another aside in my tumble of thoughts – this is pronounced ‘Maaah-oooon!’ in reference to the sound a lion makes. Maaa-ooon!  I’ve only heard them go ‘ooh ooh ooh ooh!’ So I’m trusting local knowledge here. 

So, National geographic came and went. Our lives didn’t change, they didn’t give me a job on the spot, and they don’t know what they’re missing. They obviously were preoccupied, but I’m sure they’ll realize their mistake at some stage and come hurrying back. Totally. The only thing that really changed is that we lost our friend Chris for a few days, and we realized that the ladies here make pizza – we realized this when we saw them making pizza for the film crew, and now we realize that maybe they’ll make for us too. Yay! 

Today, as we were having our afternoon swim (ahh!), two very friendly folks came over to the pool to say “Hello!  Hello there!  How are you!?” They were so friendly and smiley! They handed Mich an official invite and proceeded to explain – we have been invited to…wait for it…the MTC 2009 Christmas Party!!!  It’s late, but better late than never, right? How awesome!  So, MTC is Moremi Tented Camp – very fancy, how do you spell laany? Larny? Laaney? Very expensive, I’m sure. On the edge of the river, naturally. So, they’re having this amazing CHRISTMAS party on Monday, and so far Mich, Roz, Emily and I are going – party!!! There’s gonna be food, and maybe even entertainment, PLUS we get to see MTC, take pics, and pretend like we stayed there! Woohoo! Anyway, I deserve a party, cos Jess (Jamo’s lovely cousin) is having her 21st down in Durbs this weekend, and all of Jamo’s family are down there, and they’re out at dinner tonight, and I so wish I was there!!

And now, to end, a quote from Michelle:
‘You know you’ve been in the bush too long when hot chocolate and cake makes you so happy that you flap your arms like a little bird.”

No comments: